Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Journal #25 "vocabulary"

- My weak points in the trait of word choice are that I don't have a strong vocabulary, I mostly just use small words. Even though I use small words in my writing, it makes it easier for the reader to understand what I am trying to say. When i use big words in my writing, i usually get them from the thesaurus.


- Well, in 7th and 8th grade, we usually and vocabulary tests. Now, i just use the thesaurus or dictionary.


- I use the thesaurus online, when i am writing my essays.
EXAMPLE:
i type in happy on teh search bar on the thesaurus website, words come up like blissfull, excited etc.

- For me, my goal is too learn as much new words i can. Maybe about 20 new words every semester. I can show that i "own them" by using them when i speak to people or when i am writing essays or homework.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kevin,
    One of the best ways to learn new vocabulary is by reading...a lot.
    Notice that your example of your use of the thesaurus is focused on abstract words. "Happy" is an emotion. It is not a concrete detail that would show or prove "happiness." Thus, when you substitute "blissful" for "happy" it does not really strengthen the word choice because it just substitutes abstract for abstract.
    Once you can distinguish better between concrete and abstract, you will be better able to improve word choice in your writing.
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete

Ads: 468x60